$629,950 Sold on 03 Feb 2020
"The Elms" Escape to the country! 2.5ha
247 Blocks Road, Birdwood
If you have ever dreamed of the quiet life amid the walls of a character filled country-style farmhouse shrouded in the glorious colours of a mature garden, your time may have arrived. Extensive outbuildings, quality water and a peaceful location away from the madding crowd are a snippet of this tempting package.
Positioned to enjoy the views, this is a garden and bird lovers haven. Sweeping, lush green lawns provide the perfect setting for a cacophony of colour that ebbs and flows with seasonal interest. In typical country style, the residence offers that casual, welcoming vibe that comes with these delightful old homes. Classic in white, the kitchen is well equipped and overlooks the dining area which flows into a large central living room. Focused around the glow of a slow combustion heater for winter warmth, there are polished floorboards, high ceilings and a gorgeous garden view.
Enclosed verahdahs are a perfect retreat for the morning cuppa or the sunroom that captures winter warmth on a rainy day. French doors in the master bedroom bring the scent of outside indoors, there is a large en-suite and good storage. The 2nd bedroom provides built in robes and its own adjoining living room with private spa/bathroom. In a former life, this part of the home was a successful B&B as it does provide an independent living opportunity with a small kitchenette, store-room and direct access to a large light filled laundry with pretty walled courtyard views.
Set amid the grounds is an interesting building. Partly constructed of stone, it has had a previous life as an artist studio. Its’ perfect for some creative adventure as it has lovely natural light. Currently used for storage, some TLC is required. Shedding is also plentiful and provides an intriguing blend of rustic storage spaces. The original besser-block dairy remains intact, the old hay shed is still standing but there is also more recent shedding. This includes a large hay/implement shed (approx. 14m x 8m), double garage, carport + more. The water supply is excellent with an equipped bore, abundant tank storage plus a winter dam adding aesthetic appeal.
Charming in every aspect, it’s difficult to capture this property in words.
Top 3 things the owner loves:
• A glorious, mature garden and its constant reminder of the seasons.
• Utter serenity & the colourful birdlife.
• That feeling of truly being at “home”.
• Circa 1910. Mixed construction, majority stone.
• High ceilings to main residence
• Slow combustion heating & Ducted reverse cycle air.
• Gas & electric hot water services.
Improvements & shedding:
• Approx 14m x 8m hay shed, enclosed on 2 sides.
• Stone studio/store room – concrete floor & power.
• Old dairy complex with adjoining store & hay sheds. 3 phase in dairy.
• Double garage with concrete floor and power.
• Double carport for 2 smaller vehicles. Paved base.
• Chicken coop & vegetable patch with fenced yard.
• Fern/shade house area.
• Additional outside, working toilet.
• Fenced into 4 paddocks
Water & garden information:
• Extensive stone steps and stone walls, garden rooms and courtyard areas.
• Equipped bore pumping approx 400 gph with 2000g holding tank for stock water.
• 22,000 gallon in-ground concrete rainwater tanks with pressure pump for house.
• Additional 8000 gallon concrete rainwater tank feeding 3 garden taps.
• X3 supplementary storage tanks for rainwater.
• Lawns all have pop up irrigation via high jet sprinklers from bore.
• Soaker system to garden beds fed from 8000g tank up on hill. Can also use bore water.
• Reliable annual rainfall region – approx 700 to 750mm pa.